The challenges facing the agriculture sector are increasing in scope and…
Ransomware is one of the cruelest cyber threats in today’s digital landscape. While there is cause for concern considering the latest statistics, businesses should know that survival after ransomware is possible with expert assistance! And exercising data backup best practices can save your business.
In this article, we’ll give you the five data backup best practices and walk you through the ransomware response process.
First, What are the Cybersecurity Experts Saying?
Last year was a cybersecurity wake-up call for businesses across the globe. Rapid digital adoption during the COVID-19 pandemic left many companies vulnerable across platforms where malicious actors were already adept at exploiting vulnerabilities.
Let’s look at the latest statistics to know what we’re dealing with:
- Last year, ransomware attacked 37% of businesses and organizations.
- Ransomware recovery costs an average of $1.85 million.
- Nearly one-third of victims paid the ransom but did not get access to all the stolen data.
5 Data Backup Plan Best Practices
A comprehensive data backup plan is crucial to the longevity of your business. Following our five best practices will ensure your plan is accessible and helpful in a disaster or cyberattack.
- Write Down Data Backup Plans and Policies: Recording your official plan keeps your company accountable to policy and ensures that management knows what is expected when it comes to data protection.
- Ensure Backups are Regular and Frequent: Whimsical and irregular data backups put your company at risk. With regular, frequent backups, you can rest assured that your data’s latest copies and versions are available.
- Follow the 3-2-1 Rule: This strategy is easy to remember and helpful. Keep three copies of your information, store backups on two different storage entities, and keep one copy off-premises.
- Encrypt your Data Backups: Businesses should encrypt backed-up files with the assistance of their IT provider to maximize protection.
- Perform Attack Simulations and Update Plans Regularly: It’s crucial to regularly test your data backup plans and adjust according to possible vulnerabilities. IT experts can help you make the most of the latest technologies to fortify your systems and data.
How to Survive After a Ransomware Attack
Survival after ransomware is possible, and your company will eventually thrive again. Encountering a ransomware attack can be disorienting and upsetting. Make sure to follow these steps immediately to mitigate further financial losses.
Follow Your Incident Response Plan
With the help of your IT provider, follow your company’s incident response plan. This plan walks you through every step post-attack and was catered for this moment. Your IT provider can help you recover your protected, stored data and help keep your business running during and after the attack.
Your incident response plan offers a reprieve while you formulate your next steps and long-term recovery plans.
Report the Attack to Necessary Parties
Report the ransomware attack to law enforcement. By doing this, you can get help from law enforcement in investigating the ransomware attack and catching the perpetrators.
Reporting the attack to law enforcement can help you access the resources you need to recover from the ransomware invasion. While it may seem like a hassle, getting the help you need to recover from an attack is worth it.
Notifying other affected parties can also help you gather information about the ransomware and how it works. This can help you improve your data backup plan and prevention strategies for future threats.
Learn from the Experience
One of the most empowering courses of action businesses can take away from a ransomware attack is learning from the experience. It’s important to remember that you’re not alone in this experience; many companies have felt the full impact of an attack. Sharpening your data backup plan and continuity strategies post-attack can empower your business to face on-coming threats confidently.
Having an industry expert in your corner who helps you recover and preemptively face future cyber threats is imperative to your recovery and success.
Zirous Can Help!
For information on creating a fool-proof data backup plan or recovering after ransomware, contact Zirous experts. They’ll help you make the most of your technology while minimizing the risk!